Monday, October 20, 2008

The Perfect Gift.

The gracious and talented Miss Oppenheimer took some pictures for me a while back. I'd asked her to get some shots of the little service guy in front of the convenience store on 13th Street, in the Indian Hills area.
There's a story.....
This is a Gino Selerno carving, one of a few thats left standing around the ITC, and he has great meaning to my husband and I.
He was created in my late father-in-law's image. Jimbo and his dad used to own an AMOCO station there. His hat reads "Indian Hills AMOCO" and his nametag says "Ed" - that was Jim's dad.


I recently visited the store and asked them to sell the statues to me, but to no avail. They said he was "part of the community" and didn't think it was a good idea.
So thats when I got Miss. O. involved. She took many for me, and they're all FABULOUS.
I had the first two pictures here enlarged and printed for Jim and his twin brother's birthday. I noticed a few weeks after I had asked the new owners if I could buy the statues that someone had sawed his hands off. WHO DOES THAT?!?
Jim was blown away, and fought back a few tears. Even his brother Tim, who is developmentally disabled, was shocked and tense with emotion.......so Miss Oppenheimer, mission accomplished!! Thanks again! You are fantastic!

4 comments:

Heather rules said...

Well I'm crying now. That is an awesome gift!!!

jenny said...

You always have such awesomely cool stories. What an amazing keepsake!

Chris said...

That's such a perfect gift. Unique and totally wonderful!

Jennifer Lynne said...

That is so cool. I pass by here everyday taking my daughter to and from daycare. I'm always going to think about you now!