Thursday, September 4, 2008

First Night of Volleyball

Tonight was the first night of Volleyball for my Special Olympics team. Even though we had a big turnout tonight, seems down a bit from last year. Our athletic director, Kim (the one here with the ball) was as uptight as ever!
I guess Jimbo is coaching our highest level team again this year, and I suppose I'll help him. Its a good cop, bad cop thing with us, and it works pretty well!
Our highest level is what we call the A Team - very high functioning guys, and generally good boys, but they LOVE to horse around.
Ah, there's my buddy, Rexie. I love that guy. He and I are the same age, but you'd never know it by looking at him. In the 6 or 7 years that I've been coaching, I have NEVER seen him get that ball over the net. Nor have I EVER seen him make a basket during basketball season, but he's got more heart than any athlete I know. He's a doll. Can you see that shirt?! It says "Irresistible" - what a hoot!
Her are some more of the usual suspects! Heath, Phillip and Jennifer.
So now I've got Bocce on Tuesdays, Volleyball on Thursdays.....and if I was off on Sundays, I'd be at bowling, too! I do miss the bowling on Sundays, but I must confess, it can be exhausting.
Wow. We've just hit the busy season! In November, we'll go to Overland Park for a few days for the "Fall Classic" - its a weekend of bowling and volleyball competition. And its a blast.

No comments: