Sunday, September 28, 2008

Bocce Goes DEFCON 5.

It was a full on Bocce crisis yesterday. Jim had to get serious with Tabitha first thing, as we discovered the balls at the state tournament were MUCH lighter than the balls we've been practicing with, and it was throwing off everyone's game. (no pun intended there)
AND, to top it off, we've been practicing in gravel, they had to compete in grass.
Poor Tabitha was frustrated, and I don't blame her. She took 4th Place in singles.....she would have done better if the balls had been heavier. Later that evening she'd forgotten ALL about it, though, as she got her groove on at the dance with any gentleman within a few feet of her, with the exception of Coach Jim, who told her "fat country boys don't dance."

Tabitha is a hoot! True story: She came off the bus yesterday morning when we all arrived at the tournament and announced to me (very loudly, in front of a LOT of people) that I had her 8 a.m. meds, it was 8:45, and if she didn't take them right then, she'd be in trouble because "one of those pills is a birth control pill and an egg might have already dropped!" - I have no idea where she's heard this statement, but I'm sure it was an ill-advised warning by a staff person at her group home to ensure that she took them. She actually takes them for a completely unrelated reason. I laughed so hard I nearly pee'd.....she was NOT amused. We found some water and took the damn pills.

Brother-in-law Tim and his doubles partner, Jim-Bob, took the GOLD!! They had a tough time adjusting to the lighter balls as well, but they did exactly what Drill Sargent Jim told them to do - "ADAPT AND OVERCOME!"
Our other doubles pair, Terry and Leah ALSO took the GOLD!!!
I think everyone had a good time. I know I sure did!
We all walked away with sunburned faces, and at the showers in the ladies locker room before the dance, I saw entirely too much stuff I would love to have avoided, but it was totally worth it. I was so proud of them. They all worked very hard.

Our soccer teams did very well yesterday, too.....including our little team of young ones, they also took the gold! And of course, the dance was a blast as usual.....I forgot to take my camera in, but let me tell ya, it was a full on groove-fest, orchestrated by a band of state troopers and cops - those guys rocked!

2 comments:

Linda said...

Love the story about Tabitha! Glad you had a good time and were successful to boot!

Jaime said...

I second what Linda said about the Tabitha stories. That's funny stuff.