Sunday, July 13, 2008

Behold, Big Daddy's Tattoo. (But He's No Tough Guy.)

Well, a photographer, I am not. But here are a few shots of Jim's ink.
It actually is very nice, but my photos leave
something to be desired.
Of course, its only been 2 days, so its lumpy and gross,
but after it heals, it will be a thing of beauty!

But the tat didn't change him.....just to uphold his reputation of being a big softy, read on.....

Last night, after work, Jimbo met me over at Emerson's for a beer and an appetizer before we headed over to the Moonlight Car Show downtown. Halfway through my chicken strips, I'm getting full. I look out the window, and see that I have a clear view of the homeless gentleman that sits/sleeps/hangs out on the bench in front of the Big Bird.

I say to Jim, "Wow, I feel like a real turd. I'm leaving a LOT of food on my plate and there's our resident homeless guy on the bench across the street who probably hasn't had much to eat today."

(I hate how everyone ignores this guy. They don't even make eye contact or say hello when they pass by.)

Jim asks the waitress for a to-go box and says to me "Box it up. I'll take it over and offer it to him."

Off we go across Douglas to strike up a casual conversation with the slightly strange, but otherwise nice dude. Jim asks "Hey there, bud, how's it going?"

Dude looks up at the sky and says, "let me ask you something, brother. Why is it the clouds move one direction one day and then a whole other direction the next?"

Jim replies, "This is Kansas, man, you can't ever tell what the heck the weather's gonna do."

Awkward silence.

Jim speaks again. "Say, pal, have you had a bite to eat yet today?"

Dude: "Not really, but something always comes along."

Jim: "Well, my wife and I were just across the street for dinner and this stuff is just too good not to share, would you like to have some? Its chicken strips."

Dude smiles: "Hey, thanks man, I appreciate that."

Jim: "No problem, bud, you have a good night!"

THIS is why I fell for that stubby little hillbilly. Whenever I get irritated at him for something stupid, I need to remember the times he does things like this. And he does things like this a lot.


4 comments:

Chris said...

The tattoo is awesome, but the man sporting it is even more awesome. What a generous couple of folk you are -- hillbilly or not!

Linda said...

I think the tat is really cool! And you two are sweethearts - I bet you made that guy's day!

Heather rules said...

Awesome tat and awesome deed.

jenny said...

Wow! That tattoo looks amazing!! And a Ray W. saying comes to mind -only your good looks exceed your generosity...but I am afraid Jim's good looks (stubby or not) have taken a back seat to his generosity...great story.