Monday, May 19, 2008

Cemetery Day.

Today we drove Grandma and Grandpa out to Greenwood Cemetery in Newton to decorate their son's grave. (Jim's Dad's grave). The weird thing about this plot is, directly behind them here is a direct shot of a headstone that says "Hayes" - Jim's mother's maiden name - both families (Garrison & Hayes) were very close back in the day. Odd.....
Yes, his actual given name at birth was Eddy Joe Garrison - kinda hillbilly, huh.

MY flowers are the classy silk ones in the vase next to grandpa - I DO NOT purchase ANYTHING with BLUE ROSES in it - that ain't how I roll. (Please note the splash of burnt orange in that vase!!!)

He's been gone about a year and a half. He had (another) major stroke and died suddenly while visiting them down in Texas.

12 days later, Jim's uncle, his dad's brother, (Johnny Lee Garrison - yes, that was his actual given name at birth, kinda hillbilly, huh.) died of cancer. So needless to say, Grandma gets VERY emotional at the grave because she lost 2 sons in the matter of a week or so.

BIG SECRET ABOUT TO BE DEVULGED!! - In this next picture, Jim and his grandpa
are putting down a spray that grandma brought up from Texas - they are putting it right over the spot where Jim buried some ashes of the other son (Johnny Lee) right there with his brother - unbeknownst to the cemetery folks. So it was a quick, renegade burial, a covert operation in the dark (okay, dusk) of night so that grandma would have a place to go and visit both the sons she lost at around the same time.

But that ain't nuthin'. When Jim's dad died, grandpa actually took pictures of him in his casket. WTF?!?! What the heck kinda backwoods stuff is that!??! It freaks me out when they all start bringing out the cameras. Heaven help me, I better be made up to the hilt, full manicure, and boobs a kickin' with some wicked awesome cleavage, maybe a hot red number with sequence - especially if their gonna take my picture post-mortem - I gotta go out in style.

Here's a teeheehee.... Their 3rd and only son left is ......wait for it......Jessie Ray Garrison. (thats grandpa's name, too) Kinda hillbilly, huh.

I love those damn hillbillies. They've always treated me like I've been one of them forever.

FOOTNOTE: Check out http://www.presleys.com/ - that's Jim's family on his grandpa's side out in Branson, as mentioned in the previous blog post.......ah, to have their money.......too bad I can't carry a tune in a bucket. Jim, on the other hand, can actually sing, but stage fright might get the best of him.

5 comments:

Country Girl said...

girl... with all the billy ray and jim bob's... you DO know my ex's GIVEN name, right???

Heather rules said...

I love the covert operation. Sounds like when they sprinkled some of my grandma in a slot machine ashtray in Vegas.
Breaking The Law, Breaking The Law!!!
They seem like such sweet folks.

Linda said...

you crack me up. I don't get the "taking pictures of the dead" either. I had a great aunt once who not only had her kids take a picture of their dad, but she grabbed hold of him in the casket and would not let him go. She had to be pried off of him! I think that was my first funeral. I was about 6 or 7.

jenny said...

Okay love the names and totally love the burying of the ashes! What a cool idea. And are you sure the red sequine dress is the way to go? I'm just saying...

Chris said...

I LOVE covert operations! My grandpa was buried with some Hershey's Kisses under his casket pillow. One of my sisters held up the pillow and I tossed a few in for him the morning of the funeral. Story to come soon on my blog. Jim's grandparents are adorable.