Friday, May 16, 2008

Well, this is completely random, but I have discovered something out in Stilwell, KS that I would love to go and just witness some time.

Its called Heartland Therapeutic Riding, Inc., and its just that. Horseback riding for the developmentally disabled, and it looks amazing.
I think they do it on Monday, Tuesday & Thursday evenings, maybe the weekends too....

But everyone I know of that has a disabled family member that has gone and done it says its the coolest.

There is also a rodeo in the fall - damned if I can remember where its at, but MANY of our Special Olympics athletes compete in it and from what I understand, folks you could not imagine even tying their own shoes ride like a pro - its really something to see - and I must. One of these days.

3 comments:

Chris said...

I saw something about this on the news the other day. One of the mothers said her son benefits so much from this. Very awesome!

Linda said...

This sounds wonderful! Let us know if you go.

Country Girl said...

I have heard of this place, and others across the nation. Very cool thing. There is a lady out at the rescue whose daughter has done the rodeo... next time I see her out there I'll try and remember to ask her where it's at.