Friday, June 13, 2008

Oh, Boy, I forgot about these...

The Grandpa-isms.

Bless his heart, Jim's Grandpa has a way of making up his own words instead of using the real ones, especially if he can't pronounce it. And I swear he knows he's doing it because when you try to get him to say it again for someone else so you can all laugh at him, he's got you figured out. Poor little hillbilly.

Salolomonty - He means Salmonella. He was also overheard calling it "That chicken disease."

Virgo - He's referring to vertigo, which Aunt Bonnie, the flight attendant has and can't work because it "makes her real spinny"

Dr. Joyce Brotherton - I shit you not, he means Dr. Ruth. (don't even ask me to explain that one.) He's thinking of Dr. Joyce Brothers.

There are a guzillion more, but here's my favorite phrase....I just about pee every time he says it:
"I MADE EXTRY!" - He means he made extra, as in mashed potatoes, iced tea....you name it.

I forgot to blog about this when I uploaded my vacation photos.

** TWO MORE I FORGOT ABOUT!**

Flustrated - I believe this to be a combination of flustered and frustrated - I hate to admit this, but my country bumpkin husband says it sometimes too. Makes me want to hit him.

This last one is a visual - and I am not kidding at all about this: "Blowney" - (bologna) grandpa wrote this on his grocery list. I nearly fell out of my chair when he said, "Well, I just wrote it like it sounds."

4 comments:

Linda said...

EXTRY? I LOVE IT! I've actually heard that before, from a lady who was our neighbor when we were kids. You just gotta crack up at this language!

Chris said...

I've heard flustrated before and I kind of like it. My friend Joyce's dad has lots of these, too. It's a point of much family laughter.

Heather rules said...

I'm telling ya, sounds just like Justin's family. Them folks from the Ozarks have some doozies.

Country Girl said...

blowney... i LOVE it!! -- my fave made-up word is "privasize" -- came up with that one myself. came up with it when i was plantin' me some rose bushes... planted 'em on the north side of the deck... y'know down under ... so as they grow... they'll give us some privacy under the deck as they grow in size... hence the word "privasize".