Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The Masacare . . .

As in St. Valentine's Day. Or, if you prefer, the day or two BEFORE.

I was one of the spouses dumb enough to roll on down to the nearest drugstore last minute on Tuesday to get a little sumptin' for my other half.

It was mostly husbands, descending upon the Wal-Greens at Central & West Street like vultures. Crazed, glittery card shopping vultures. It was kill or be killed in the Valentine isle. They were snatching up heart-shaped boxes of chocolate like mad. I witnessed men WAY too old to be purchasing giant teddy bears actually contemplating it.

Don't do it, dude . . .it will haunt you for the rest of your life, that poor, obviously not creative, last minute buy. Nothing says "no effort put forth here" like a ridiculously large plushy.

I think there's too much pressure put on the male gender this time of year. I mean really, girls, wouldn't we rather have random acts of unexplained sweetness all year round than have them scramble at the drug store ONE day a year?

Put down the chocolate rose wrapped in red foil and step away, boys! Just step away.

And to the old man with the crazy eyebrows that elbowed me out of the last box of chocolate coverd cherries - UP YOURS PAL!

4 comments:

Linda said...

We do cards and that's it for Valentine's Day! Why spend big bucks on flowers or candy when we can use it for something else?

jenny said...

Robyn you crack me up! I made the mistake last year and shopped for a card at the last minute - that is a rowdy bunch... very tense people.

Country Girl said...

i didn't buy cards 'til tonight either. shawn will be getting a dvd... it's a joke, cost me five bucks. it's a movie we saw back in '98 or '99... (when we were on hiatus). anyhoo... it was THE worst movie EVER! so hopefully he will find humor in the wasted five bucks.

Jennifer Lacy said...

I had the same battle tody at Target! Jay ended up waiting until last minute one year and got me a Valentine's Day card of well, ethnic nature from Hallmark's "Mahogany Line." It's one of my faves! Happy V-day!