Sunday, March 16, 2008

Long Weekend, Lots of Fun! (And Gold!)

All smiles from my pal, Stephen Lee to you!

The Special Olympics Basketball Trip to Hays is over and I'm exhausted!
Here's the entire team at Opening Ceremonies. Including coaches, volunteers and staff from some of the group homes, we had nearly 170 people with us all weekend.


This is Biker-Babe Kristen, one of the cheerleading coaches - she's straight crazy, and I love her! She makes everything more fun!

Instead of coaching a team this year, I was the floater (and team photographer), and boy, was I busy! We made 170-some sandwiches in like 15 minutes for lunch on Thursday. We got luggage to all the rooms. We heated chicken and noodles for that many people as well for dinner Thursday night, with 5 roasting pans! It was craziness.

All TWELVE of our teams did very well, but the highlight of the weekend was one of our own athletes, Rex West, getting "Most Inspirational Athlete" - which means at next year's tournament, he'll get to carry the torch and light the cauldron at opening ceremonies! Very exciting stuff. I asked him the next morning if he slept with that trophy . . .no, but it was right next to him on the night stand. I'm surprised he let go of it long enough to play basketball! I love this guy. He's my age, a graduate of Wichita South High (he's very proud of that) and father to 2 min-pins, that he calls his babies. I don't believe he's EVER made a basket, but he's got so much heart and love for the team, I just have to hug on him every time I see him. He's the coolest.

The dance was a hot, packed house again, but WOW was it a good time as usual. You can't ever get out of there without hearing "Who Let The Dogs Out" . . . . and to this day, everyone goes nuts for that tune.


This is Marcia & Marty dancing together. They don't date, but they've both been on our team for nearly 20 years. Looks like he's trying to pull her off of him here, but they danced like that all night.

Here's Tabitha and her boyfriend, Danny. He plays for our rivals. She's so stinkin' cute. She's one of our cheerleaders. Check out his zoot suit! Its funny how many athletes will dress up for the dance. Its big business!

It was a good time, but I'm glad its over and super happy to be home!

4 comments:

Heather rules said...

You must be so proud. Glad it was a success.

Chris said...

Those pictures are AWESOME!

Linda said...

Great job miss photographer! Looks like everyone was having a great time!

Jennifer Lynne said...

Looks like fun!