Saturday, January 5, 2008

A Very Special Gift

This evening I received a late Christmas gift. Late, but very special!

I should back up a little. . . Back before the Holidays, my mother-in-law had asked everyone what they wanted for Christmas. Jokingly, I said that I was desperate for a little sewing kit - just something that this poor, non-domesticated girl could use to put buttons back on when they fall off! (I'm the gal that got kicked out of home economics class in junior high for jacking up all the sewing machines, and asked not to come back. Totally true.)

I completely forgot that I told her that I could use a few needles and some thread.

Tonight she gave me her mother's sewing box. The whole thing.


I was completely stunned. I never new my husband's grandmother. She passed away while we were dating, but Alzheimer's and dementia had taken her mind long ago, preventing any chance of really getting to know her. I would go with him to her nursing home once a month to visit. Each visit was very emotional and upsetting for her family, and I always felt guilty for being there, watching their hearts break all over again, month after month.

Even though I never had the opportunity to develop a relationship with her, I know how loved she was by her family, and I know how important it is to have this family heirloom entrusted to me.

It got Riley's seal of approval! Now I only hope my dear sweet mother-in-law doesn't find out that I am completely useless with a needle and thread in my hand.

6 comments:

Heather rules said...

That is so cool. What a thoughtful gift.

Jennifer Lacy said...

Hey There! I just found your blog from another former eagle! Hope you don't mind - check mine out if you want. jennlacy

Country Girl said...

that is so cool!! i foresee you making the super chihuahua a sweater. :)

Country Girl said...

oh goodness, i just noticed... heather and i said the same thing. :) they don't call us the cool chics for nothin' - hehe

Chris said...

Robyn, just found your blog. Very exciting! I think the sewing kit is magical and you will be a top seamstress in no time!

Linda said...

Robyn, I just found your blog too. So glad to welcome you to the world of blogging. Wanted to mention that my mom had this exact same sewing box! I have no idea where it ended up though.